For Immediate Release:
April 14, 2017
Secretary of the Commonwealth's Office: Denise Burch, Denise.Burch@governor.virginia.gov
| Office of the Governor, Heather Fluit, Heather.Fluit@governor.virginia.gov
Governor McAuliffe Announces Administration Appointments
RICHMOND – Governor Terry McAuliffe announced additional appointments to his Administration today. The appointees will join McAuliffe’s Administration focused on finding common ground with members of both parties on issues that will build a new Virginia economy and create more jobs across the Commonwealth.
Office of the Governor
Yael Belkind, Director of Scheduling
Yael Belkind has been appointed to the position of Director of Scheduling to Governor McAuliffe. Yael was previously the Governor’s Confidential Assistant. Prior to working in the Governor’s office, Yael worked at the U.S. State Department as the Assistant Manager at Blair House, the President’s Guest House, in Washington, DC. Yael was the Governor’s Director of Scheduling when he was Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, as well as when he was Chairman of the 2008 Hillary Clinton for President campaign. Born in New Delhi, India, Yael has a degree from Tufts University.
Secretariat of Commerce and Trade
Erik Johnston, Chief Deputy, Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development
Erik Johnston has been appointed as Chief Deputy Director of the Department of Housing and Community Development. Prior to this job, he served as the Deputy Policy Director in the Office of the Governor since November of 2015. Prior to that, he served as Director of Government Affairs for the Virginia Association of Counties. He also spent eight years working on federal policy with housing and community development stakeholders through his work with the National Association of Counties. Erik grew up in the Roanoke Valley and now resides in Chesterfield. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Political Science and International Affairs from the University of Mary Washington and his Master’s degree in Public Administration from Virginia Tech.
Secretariat of the Commonwealth
Board for Contractors
- Deb Tomlin of Colonial Heights, Manager, Reico Kitchen & Bath
Board of Trustees of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
- Martha M. Glasser of Virginia Beach, Owner/President, Art Forms, Inc.
Radiation Advisory Board
- Allen R. Goode, MS, DABR of Charlottesville, Chief Diagnostic Medical Physicist, University of Virginia Health System
- Laura K Strawn, PhD of Painter, Assistant Professor, Extension Specialist, Produce Food Safety, Food Science and Technology Dept., Virginia Tech - Eastern Shore AREC
Commonwealth Health Research Board
- Julia A. Spicer of Washington, DC, Executive Director for Mid-Atlantic Venture Association (MAVA)
Virginia Egg Board
- Ken Risser of Hartfield, President, Risser Farms, Inc.
Virginia Fire Services Board
- James M. Stokely, CIC, CPIA of Manassas, Commercial Insurance Broker and Partner, Welch, Graham & Ogden, Inc.
Virginia Manufactured Housing Board
- Sean D. Hicks of Richmond, Attorney, Hirschler Fleischer